Evening Primrose Oil 500 mg
Evening primrose oil contains gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid on the Omega 6 pathway. Essential fatty acids are required by the body for growth and development, and must be obtained from the diet. Evening primrose oil is often referred to as EPO.
The gamma linolenic acid (GLA) content of evening primrose oil was first quantified in Germany in the 1920s, and subsequently, its effects on cell generation and cholesterol levels began to be monitored. Experiments and trials with evening primrose oil have revealed the following:
Evening Primrose Oil has been shown to produce beneficial effects in the following conditions:
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) – EPO has been found to dramatically reduce or eliminate swollen abdomen and resolve breast discomfort as well as irritability and depression in many women.
- Eczema, Psoriasis & Skin Problems – EPO may be effective in relieving the symptoms of numerous skin disorders, and may be experimented in conjunction with Omega 3 fish oils for best results. The ratio of one to another has been found to vary significantly from one individual to another.
- Cholesterol and Blood Pressure – EPO has been shown in studies, to reduce high serum cholesterol and blood pressure. It may take several weeks to achieve this result and again it may be beneficial to also supplement with Omega 3 fish oils, in order to keep an appropriate ratio of Omega 6 (EPO) to Omega 3 fat intake.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – It is reported that sufferers have discontinued use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs after supplementing with EPO and Fish Oils. We also recommend the use of Boron and Glucosamine.
- Alcoholism – EPO may make withdrawal easier, and is claimed to reduce post-drinking depression.
- Immune System – low levels of essential fatty acids, including evening primrose oil and Fish Oil, may stop the action of interferon, and body’s natural virus defense.